Galaxy S4 smartphone explodes in Hong Kong, burns down owner’s house

Hong Kong-based Du was in for a rude shock when his Samsung Galaxy S4 smartphone exploded, burning his house down in the process, latest reports confirm.

Chinese website Xianguo.com reports that Du was listening to “Love Machine” on his phone when suddenly he heard a loud pop. Surprised, he threw the smartphone on his sofa, which soon caught fire. The fire then engulfed Du’s entire apartment, where he lived with this wife. The two managed to have a narrow escape, but Du lost all his belongings.

Du claims that the parts of the smartphone were genuine!

Du claims that the parts of the smartphone were genuine! (Image credit)

This isn’t the first time that we’ve come across reports of loss and damage caused due to explosions in smartphones as a result of fake parts used in phones. Du, however, claims that the parts of his Galaxy S4, including the battery chargers, were genuine.

Firefighters rushed to the spot immediately and worked to douse the flames for over 30 minutes, say reports. All furniture and appliances inside Du’s apartment have been reduced to ashes.“Upstairs unit facades and terraces blackened by smoke, metal fence also burned,” adds the report.

This also isn’t the first time that we’ve come across an instance of an explosion involving a Samsung smartphone. Just this month, 18-year-old Fanny Schlatter from Switzerland suffered third-degree burns to her thigh when her Samsung Galaxy S3 exploded in her pant pocket.

The fire caused by the explosion engulfed his entire apartment

The fire caused by the explosion engulfed his entire apartment

Schlatter, an apprentice painter, was in her office when the phone kept in her pocket exploded, forcing her to tear the piece of clothing off to prevent any further damage. By then, her right thigh had received third-degree burns. The pho